This course is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
This course meets state guidelines for the following mandated subject areas:
- Law Update (annual)
- Civil Rights (every 3 yrs.)
- Constitutional & Proper Use of Authority (every 3 yrs.)
- Human Rights (every 3 yrs.)
- Procedural Justice (every 3 yrs.)
- Lead Homicide Recertification (24 hrs. credit)
Law Enforcement and forensic personnel are routinely exposed to situations in which biological materials are present. Biological and trace evidence can easily be overlooked, contaminated or destroyed. Death investigations, suicides and sexual assaults represent only a few of the instances in which biological and trace evidence needs to be located, documented and collected. Crime scene investigators must be able to do this in an effective yet safe manner. This 3-day workshop will provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to locate and preserve these types of fragile evidence.
Students will be introduced to various chemical and non-destructive techniques to utilize during scene examinations. Instruction will include procedures for the safe handling and storage of biological evidence. Information on the latest in DNA technology and how DNA evidence can best be utilized in criminal investigations will also be provided.
This workshop will be conducted by Imprimus Forensic Services from Arlington Heights, Illinois. Due to the hands-on nature of this training, enrollment will be strictly limited to 20 participants.
- Safety Precautions and Equipment
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard
- STR and Mitochondrial DNA
- Hair, Fiber and GSR Evidence
- Scene Examination Procedures
- Visually Locating Stains
- Light Source Applications
- Presumptive Testing and Enhancement
- Collection Techniques
- Packaging Techniques
- Victim/Offender Standards
- Using CODIS and John Doe Warrants
- Scene Release and Clean Up
Note: Attendees will need to bring a camera, a tripod, and an off-camera flash unit.
Michael Wasowicz, Lead Instructor
Imprimus Forensic ServicesRead more