This course is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
This course meets state guidelines for the following mandated subject areas:
- Law Update (annual)
- Civil Rights (every 3 yrs.)
- Constitutional & Proper Use of Authority (every 3 yrs.)
- Procedural Justice (every 3 yrs.)
This course will familiarize patrol officers with the most recent and effective procedures for testing drivers for intoxication at roadside. Officers will learn how to properly conduct field sobriety tests developed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), including horizontal gaze nystagmus, and how to describe DUI evidence clearly and convincingly in written reports and verbal testimony. Lecture and practical demonstrations will be supplemented by video samples of actual DUI stops. Students will have two opportunities to conduct live sobriety tests on volunteer drinking subjects who are not members of the class.
- Visual Detection of Drinking Drivers
- Behavioral Indications of Drug Influence
- Laws of DUI and Implied Consent
- Report Writing and Courtroom Testimony
- Intoxication Testing Exercises
- Psycho-Physical Field Sobriety Tests
Officer Ryan Snow, (DRE)
University of Illinois Police Dept.
Officer Jonathan Tatum, (DRE)
Champaign Police Dept.
ASA Lindsey Clark
Champaign Co. State’s Attorney’s Ofc.
Please register for this course by March 26.