This course is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
This course meets state guidelines for the following mandated subject areas:
- Law Update (annual)
- Civil Rights (3 year)
- Constitutional & Proper Use of Authority (3 year)
The “Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act” as described in “Amendment to HB 1438” was signed into law by Governor Pritzker on June 25, 2019. This legislation permits the cultivation, selling, and adult use of cannabis, beginning January 1, 2020. The implementation of this legislation will have a tremendous effect on all aspects of law enforcement. The most profound impact will be on traffic safety. Illinois officers need to be trained to understand the legislation and to take appropriate action when required. At the end of this course, participants will have a better understanding of the new cannabis laws as they relate to their duties as police officers, as well as the knowledge to observe, identify and articulate cannabis usage. This training is designed for patrol officers and street supervisors.
- Business organizations associated with the cannabis industry
- Categories, strains, extracts and delivery systems
- Possession and cultivation limits
- Restrictions and limitations for possession of adult use cannabis
- Recognizing cannabis and cannabis containers
- The signs and symptoms of cannabis usage
- Distinguishing the three types of cannabis patients
- Restrictions and limitations for medical cannabis
- Scientific research related to driving and cannabis usage
- The effectiveness of field sobriety testing
- Implied Consent provisions associated with DUI cannabis
- Making a DUI cannabis arrest
- The limitations of chemical testing
- Proficiency exam: non-standardized field sobriety tests
Drug Recognition ExpertRead more
Please register for this course by March 11.