This course is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
This course meets state guidelines for the following mandated subject areas:
- Law Update
- Use of Force – Law concerning stops, searches, and use of force
- Constitutional & Proper Use of Authority
- Procedural Justice
- Lead Homicide Recertification (8 hrs. credit)
This course will focus on police officer use of force considerations in on-duty and off-duty scenarios. Practical use of force issues will be examined by viewing actual videos from live police use of force encounters and discussing the officer’s decisions in those instances. The course will review U.S. Supreme Court cases, Federal Court decisions, Illinois statutes and case law, and what our courts specifically look for in police use of force situations. The course will also address use of force occurrences, ranging from crimes in progress to the use of force in medical emergencies.
The material will consider use of force from an officer’s perspective: pre-assault indicators, force options that may be utilized, the use of intermediate weapons, permitted uses of force, prohibited uses of force, and the deadly use of force. Instruction will include proper documentation, Qualified Immunity, Garrity issues, and the Illinois Uniform Peace Officer’s Disciplinary Act. The program will conclude with a discussion of the “10 Myths of Police Use of Force.”
- Video analysis of actual police use of force events and decision making
- Use of force during crimes in progress; offenders fleeing a crime scene; medical emergencies
- Use of force where offender is neither evading arrest nor committing a crime
- Review of Illinois, Federal, and U.S. Supreme Court cases regarding police use of force
- What our courts consider when evaluating an officer’s use of force
- Pre-assault indicators; force options; quantum of force; use of intermediate weapons
- Acceptable methods of force; unacceptable methods of force; use of deadly force
- Documenting an officer’s use of force
- Probable cause and Qualified Immunity; Garrity issues
- The Illinois Uniform Peace Officer’s Disciplinary Act
- “The 10 Myths of Police Use of Force”
Jeffrey J. Pavletic, First Asst. State's Attorney
Lake County State's Attorney's OfficeRead more
Please register for this course by October 17.