This course is pending certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
Training Mandate Hours are pending certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
This course will focus on problematic areas of search and seizure law and will address how police may adapt their practices to meet new requirements and limitations. The program is designed to ensure that encounters which give rise to search and seizure issues may not only provide the potential for yielding information of intelligence value, but will also be constitutionally compliant, so that evidence discovered will be admissible should criminal proceedings follow. Course material is constantly updated to reflect recent case decisions and statutory enactments.
- Constitutional Authority for Police Searches
- Search Warrants vs. Warrantless Searches
- Conducting Consensual Encounters
- Search Incident to Arrest
- Inventory Searches
- Consent Searches
- Terry Stops and Terry Frisks
- Emergency Aid Exception
- Converting Stops to Consensual Encounters
- Use of Eavesdrop Devices during Vehicle Encounters
- Plain View Seizures
- Trash Searches
Dant Foulk, Assistant State's Attorney
Will County State's Attorney's OfficeRead more
Please register for this course by January 7.