This course is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
This course meets state guidelines for the following mandated subject areas:
- Law Update (annual)
- Use of Force (annual)
- Civil Rights (every 3 yrs.)
- Constitutional & Proper Use of Authority (every 3 yrs.)
- Procedural Justice (every 3 yrs.)
One of the most critical tasks in law enforcement involves the use of tactical officers during high risk operations. While the success of these operations requires extensive training and proper equipment, success also requires sound judgement – from the moment the decision is made to utilize a tactical response to the actual event. Over the last decade, tactical operations have come under the scrutiny of the courts. This is largely the result of lawsuits filed against agencies and officers following a tactical operation.
This course utilizes a case-study approach in order to identify important policy and practice considerations that will assist tactical commanders, supervisors and officers in making legally defensible decisions without compromising operations during an event. Class participants will be presented with legal cases and policy issues that impact tactical operations and ultimately, liability. Instruction will provide a road map to practical implementation without hindering operations or compromising officer safety. This training will benefit SWAT commanders, tactical team leaders, tactical operators, agency executives, and legal advisors.
- Liability in Law Enforcement Operations
- Agency Liability for Tactical Operations
- Failure to Train for Recurring Tasks
- Selection and Training for Specialized Units
- The Failure to Plan for a Tactical Response
- Court Decisions Relating to Lethal and Less-Lethal Force
- Supervisory Liability during Tactical Events
- Special Considerations: EDPs, Suicide by Cop, Hostages
- High Risk Warrant Service
- No Knock Warrants
- Legal Implications for Regional Tactical Units
- Policy Development and Agency Leadership
Jack Ryan, Attorney at Law
Legal and Liability Risk Management InstituteRead more